• What is beat licensing ?

      Beat licensing is the exchange of money for the legal rights to use a beat as outlined by the licensor. This license grants permission to use a beat up to a certain number of sales/streams, a certain amount of time (legally known as the “term”) and other terms. Once these limits have been reached, the license expires and another license will need to be purchased or the license needs to be upgraded to continue using the beat.

    • Why should I lease a beat ?

      In today’s ever changing musical landscape, keeping a consistent release schedule is crucial for all artists. Therefore, purchasing beat licenses is the best option for the majority of artists. If you are an upcoming artist, non-exclusive licensing gives you access to an affordable and most importantly legal option. Exclusive licensing is a more expensive option, but it gets you the exclusivity which is usually mandatory for established artists.

    • How long is a license valid ?

      The duration of a license depends on its type. It usually varies from 3 years to unlimited. The term of a license is fixed in the contract. You can check on the term of your license in your customer account with us.

    • What needs to be done when reaching streaming limits or expiration date outlined in my license ?

      Nothing, we will reach out to you prior to the expiration date or when your song reaches the streaming limit.

    • How can I upgrade my license ?

      Very simple, let us know and we will arrange that for you. You will be charged the difference.

    • Are the files directly downloadable after purchase ?

      Yes. You will be able to download the files right away.

    • Are the voice tags removed after I purchase a license ?

      Not automatically. Not all composers add voice tags, but we respect it if they do. Upon request we can arrange a removal.

    • Can a beat be rearranged, altered ?

      Rearranging the beat can only be done under an exclusive license.

    • What is the difference between “non-exclusive” and “exclusive” ?

      A “non-exclusive license” means that more than one artist could legally use the beat. Even though you just made a new song, you own the copyright to the lyrics and the sound recording. The producer still owns the copyright to the beat. An exclusive license basically means that only one artist can legally use the beat.

    • What happens if I wish to acquire an exclusive license for a beat which has already been licensed non-exclusively ?

      Simply put, all artists with a non-exclusive license will keep the right to use the beat as per license terms until expiry of their license but they won’t be able to extend it or renew it. The beat, if online, will be removed from the shop.

    • What is a Derivative work ?

      Once you record your vocals to a beat that was licensed to you, the new song created is called a derivative work.

    • Can I submit my beats to you ?

      Composers/ Beatmakers interested in partnering up with us may send a streaming music link, and ONLY a link , via e-mail to contact@heapmusic.eu. In the e-mail you may include a brief introduction and resume highlights. If your submissions are deemed appropriate for our library you will be contacted for further information. Thank you for considering Heap Music as a partner!

    • Do you have more beats/compositions to offer ?

      Yes ! Our online library does not showcase our entire composition catalogue.

    • What type of payment do you accept ?

      We accept Paypal and credit cards.

    • What is Content ID on YouTube?

      YouTube created an automated content tracking system called Content ID (CID). CID scans videos and alerts copyright owners, such as musicians, when their music is used in videos on the YouTube Platform. If the owner of the music has registered with Content ID, you may receive a Claim. There is nothing to worry about when you have a license, then you have legal permission to use the music in your videos. You can decide if you wish to disregard the Claim or dispute the Claim. If you are monetizing your videos on YouTube, then you will want to dispute the Claim. See "How Do I Dispute a YouTube Claim".

    • How Do I Dispute a Content ID Claim on my YouTube Video?

      If you are not monetizing your video, you can choose to disregard the claim or you can dispute the claim. If you have a license that allows you to and you are monetizing your videos, you should dispute the claim. There is a simple process to do so.
      Please note, while the claim is being resolved, ads are still running and the revenue earned will be released to you as soon as the claim is released.
      YouTube has published this VIDEO to help as well as these simple instructions:
      How to dispute a Content ID claim
      1. Sign in to your YouTube Studio.
      2. From the left Menu, click Videos.
      3. Filter for Copyright claims.
      4. Hover over “Copyright claim” in the Restrictions column and click SEE DETAILS.
      When you are asked to explain your claim, please state "This track was licensed through Heapmusic.eu".

    • Will I still collect revenue during a content ID dispute ?

      Please refer directly to google’s explanation on that matter : https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/7000961?hl=en&ref_topic=9282678

    • Do you charge for your service as a Music Publisher ?

      No. A music publisher does not charge for his services. We take a cut on the publishing revenues arising from the use of the musical works / songs which we control.

    • Do you pay out advances ?

      Depending on the situation we do. Generally speaking, we don't do recoupable advances on royalties systematically.

    • Do the marketing expenses related to a song account as an advance on royalties ?

      No, they don't. Some of our contracts include a marketing budget in the terms of the agreement. This budget is not considered as a recoupable event, unless it has been stated differently.

    • Do the songwriter / artist has to refund the advance if it is not fully recouped ?

      Advances are typically not refundable by the songwriter or the artist unless they are in breach of their agreement.

    • Does a music publisher cover the "studio" costs ?

      No. A music publisher usually does not get involved in the recording process of the masters. Therefore, a music publisher does not control or own the masters.